Tuesday 7 January 2014

Off-Topic Tuesday - Avon Shine Attract Shimmer Finish Lipstick - Mauve Shimmer and Red Smoulder swatch and review

Hello!

The first off topic Tuesday of the year brings a look at a new product from Avon. Well, I say new but their Shine Attract lipsticks have been around for a while, but they've added a new finish to the line. As I can't seem to stop buying Avon lipsticks, despite finding them hit and miss, I thought I'd give them a try. I was a fan of the original, shimmer-less formula, and I was interested to see if these would be the same, just with a bit of chunky glitter thrown in. Happily, I can report that the shimmer in these are much finer than they look, giving just the right amount of shimmer on the lip. The lipstick comprises of a colour "core" surrounded by a clear moisturising balm, giving a slick of moisturising colour. The addition of the shimmer into the balm gives another dimension.

The packaging of these lipsticks is really nice, as with all Avon cosmetics. They come in a silver bullet with a clear lid, which looks neat and elegant, and makes choosing your shade easy if you have a few! You'd think that having the core surrounded by the balm would make them tricky to apply, but this isn't the case as they're fairly sheer it makes mistakes less likely! Once applied, they don't last terribly well, perhaps an hour or so, but they fade evenly and don't leave you with patchy lips. I would say they're perfect for the school run - a pop of colour with moisturising protection from the elements! They contain SPF 15, too.




Red Smoulder is a pink-toned red with gold shimmer, and looks simply juicy on the lips! In the tube, the shimmer looks really quite chunky but it isn't at all on the lips. Mauve Shimmer is more of an everyday shade for me, and will go with everything. The shimmer in this leans more silver, and again isn't obtrusive.

Red Smoulder

Mauve Shimmer

L-R Mauve Shimmer, Red Smoulder
One thing I will say about Avon is that their swatches online and in the brochures are awful, so never buy a product from them without googling first! This isn't foolproof though, as the same shades often have different names here and in the US. Unfortunately this means I'll never buy a foundation from them, although some have great reviews and I'd love to try them.

 Avon Shine Attract Shimmer Finish Lipsticks are priced at £8.50 (although often on special offer, I paid only £3.50 each for mine) from Avon or your local Avon representative.

Hx
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the swatches in their magazine being awful. They really need to get themselves on the ball.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I appreciate them all :) I'll do my best to answer any questions, but if you just can't wait feel free to contact me via email or Twitter!